Many of us live as though we were half asleep. Spiritual vitality is the opposite of that. It is the creative component of spirituality, its strength.
Technical and Analytical Readings
- Daniel N. Stern, Forms of Vitality: Exploring Dynamic Experience in Psychology, the Arts, Psychotherapy and Development (Oxford University Press, 2010).
- Thomas Cleary, Vitality, Energy, Spirit: A Taoist Sourcebook (Shambhala, 2009).
- David Michaelis, Eleanor (Simon & Schuster, 2020): “Her energy level always seemed to be someplace between prodigious and terrifying.”
- Marc Chagall, The Circus (1964)
- Georgia O'Keeffe, Oriental Poppies II
- Wassily Kandinsky, Colourful Ensemble, (1938)
- Francis Picabia, Autumn Effect (1905)
Film and Stage
- Much Ado About Nothing (Branagh): a lively rendition of Shakespeare’s romantic comedy, of which the Bard surely would approve, heartily
Music: Composers, artists, and major works
- Concerto No. 1 in B flat major
- Concerto No. 2 in E minor
- Concerto No. 3 in G major
- Concerto No. 4 in A minor
- Concerto No. 5 in A major
- Concerto No. 6 in G minor
- Concerto No. 7 in C minor
- Concerto No. 8 in D minor
- Concerto No. 9 in F major
- Concerto No. 10 in C minor
- Concerto No. 11 in D major
- Concerto No. 12 in G major
Jean Sibelius’ intent for his Symphony No. 7 in C major, Op. 105, was to compose a work expressing the “joy of life and vitality with appassionato sections.” Here are links to performances conducted by Bernstein, Elder, Karajan, and Koussevitzky.
- Braga Santos, Symphonic Variations on a Popular Song from the Alentejo, 18, (1951)
- Raga Natbhairav (Nat Bhairav), a Hindustani classical early morning raag (performances by Amir Khan, Deshpande and Banerjee)
- In Tokyo on April 16, 1979, jazz pianist Keith Jarrett, saxophonist/flautist Jan Garbarek, double-bassist Palle Danielsson and drummer Jon Christensen performed an exceptionally vibrant set, now available as “Sleeper.”
- “Berlin Contemporary Jazz Orchestra”
- Reggie Quinerly, “New York Nowhere”, on the vitality of New York city, and the leader-drummer’s experiences in it; he explains and interviews on the work.