Having a good and healthy outlook on life is an essential element of living well. Positive emotions, such as optimism, joyfulness, kindliness and enthusiasm, set a tone for our lives. Whatever circumstances may surround us, if we can live with positive emotion, we can be happy and we can encourage others.
- Konstantin Makovsky, Happy Arcadia (1889-90)
Music: Composers, artists, and major works
- “Cajun country revival”
- BeauSoleil Quartet: “Cajun music from Louisiana”
- Michael Doucet
- Dewey Balfa
- Iry LeJeune
- L Menard
- Harry Choates
- Dennis McGee
- Wayne Toups
- Pine Leaf Boys
- Lost Bayou Ramblers
- Alphonse “Bois Sec” Ardoin
- Nathan Abshire
- Clifton Chenier, “The King of the Zydeco”
- Buckwheat Zydeco, “Best of Buckwheat’s World”
- Boozoo Chavis
- Beau Jacque
- Queen Ida
- Rockin’ Sidney
- Rosie Ledet
- Rockin’ Dopsie, Jr.
- John Delafose
- Offenbach: Gaité Parisienne
- Beethoven, Piano Sonata No. 9 in E major, Op. 14/1 (1799): the first and third movements are unremittingly positive; the second movement provides a little contrast with opening sounds of doubt or angst but these are quickly converted into aural sunshine.
- Kalinnikov, Symphony No. 1 in G Minor (1895)
- Kalinnikov, Symphony No. 2 in A Major (1897)
- Saint-Saëns, Piano Quartet in B flat Major, Op. 41 (1875)
- Michael Haydn’s symphonies are uplifting little baubles of sound.
- Elvind Groven, Hjalarljod Overture, inspired by a shepherd’s call.
- Arne, six organ concerti
- Joseph Michael Haydn, Concerto for Flute and Orchestra in D Major (c. 1765)
- Raga Deshkar, a Hindustani classical raag for early morning (performances by Rashid Khan, Chakraborty and Parvez)