- Peace has to be created, in order to be maintained. It is the product of Faith, Strength, Energy, Will, Sympathy, Justice, Imagination, and the triumph of principle. It will never be achieved by passivity and quietism. [Dorothy Thompson]
People crave Love, both the receiving and the giving, and while love-starved passion can upset the soul, deep harmonic Love brings peace, if we savor it in the here and now and avoid the strong temptation to become attached to it. It is a narrow tightrope to walk but those who can do it know a joy that others can only imagine.
- Without passion, Love lacks creative power. Without harmony, it can easily be destructive. When both elements are present, Love becomes an instrument of peace.
- Susan Woods Fisher, Amish Peace: Simple Wisdom for a Complicated World (Revell, 2009).
- Thich Nhat Hanh, Fragrant Palm Leaves: Journals, 1962-1966 (Parallax Press, 1998).
Technical and Analytical Readings
- Thich Nhat Hanh
Whenever I read anything by Thich Nhat Hanh, a sense of peace comes over me. As soon as I begin reading, without even thinking about it, I breathe deeply. That is the peace this man’s gentle way brings to me, even on the printed page.
- Thich Nhat Hanh, Peace Is Every Breath: A Practice for Our Busy Lives (HarperOne, 2011).
- Thich Nhat Hanh, A Lifetime of Peace: Essential Writings By and About Thich Nhat Hanh (Da Capo Press, 2003).
- Thich Nhat Hanh, Creating True Peace: Ending Violence in Yourself, Your Family, Your Community, and the World (Free Press, 2003).
- Thich Nhat Hanh, Touching Peace: Practicing the Art of Mindful Living (Parallax Press, 2009).
- Thich Nhat Hanh, Being Peace (Parallax Press, 1996).
- Thich Nhat Hanh, Living Buddha, Living Christ (Riverhead Trade, 2007).
- Thich Nhat Hanh, Old Path White Clouds: Walking in the Footsteps of the Buddha (Parallax Press, 1990).
- Thich Nhat Hanh, Going Home: Jesus and Buddha As Brothers (Riverhead, 1999).
Film and Stage
- Friendly Persuasion, about a Quaker and pacifist in Indiana during the Civil War
- The Americanization of Emily, about a distasteful man who turns heroic
- Yellow Submarine: the Fab Four counter the Meanies of war and consumerism with a spectacularly successful commercial film
Music: songs and other short pieces
- Silent Night, arr. Emily Bear
- Nawang Khechog, Karuna
- Nawang Khechog, Peace Through Kindness
- Nawang Khechog, Wanting Peace
- Nawang Khechog, Becoming More Peaceful
- Nawang Khechog, Peace of Humanity
- Nawang Khechog, Peace in the World
- Nawang Khechog, Dwelling in Peace
- Nawang Khechog, In a Peaceful Valley
Beautiful is the 'thank you'
Wrapped with gratitude,
Offered to peace prone people
Who offer what is real-themselves
To nurse with love and humility
napalm asphyxiated victims
in our stained world
veiling ambition with face of
humanity. Beautiful is the moment
when sunlit world fades away
And with it mind made mirror
While look inward drawn, sight insight led,
and heart shuts out desire to let in
[yoonoos peerbocus, “A Hint At What Is Beautiful?”]
From the dark side:
- Edgar Lee Masters, “Amelia Garrick” (envy)
Music: Composers, artists, and major works
- The Monks of Sherab Ling Monastery have released an album called “Sacred Tibetan Chant” on which they intone for world peace and harmony.
- The Gyuto Monks Tantric Choir, “Tibetan Chants for World Peace” album
- Shivkumar Sharma and Hariprasad Chaurasia, “The Valley Recalls” album: Peace
- Jagjit Singh, “Parwaaz” album: this live concert of ghazals at the Esplanade in Sinapore is notable for its palpable good feeling of peace through love.
- Jack DeJohnette, “Peace Time”
- Ricky Kej and Wouter Keller, “Winds of Samsara”
Works from the Western classical idiom:
- Larsson, Förklädd Gud (God in Disguise), lyric suite, 24 (1940): a protest against violence, in music and lyrics.
- Nordheim, Pace (Peace), electro acoustic (1970)
- Robert Fuchs, Andante grazioso and Capriccio, Op. 63
An Indian raga:
- Raga Durgawati (Durgavati)
From the singer Imee Ooi: